Foresters and its affiliated companies each own or are licensed to use the trademarks on this site. For example, The Independent Order of Foresters owns Foresters and our logo, and its affiliates are licensed to use these. The trademarks are protected by Canadian, U.S. and European Union trademark laws. All rights reserved.
Ownership and use of content
The content of this site is protected by copyright. You can copy information for your own personal non-commercial use, but may not otherwise republish or reproduce any part without the prior written permission of the applicable Foresters Financial entity.
Warranty, availability, advice and solicitation disclaimer
The use of the site is at your own risk. Foresters Financial provides access to resources and other information on the site as a service to our clients, members, producers, registered representatives and the public. However, please bear in mind that all information on the site is being offered free of charge and that the information has not been tailored for your particular situation. Although we make every effort to provide accurate and complete information on this site, we do not guarantee that the information is error-free. Therefore, all information is furnished without warranties of any kind, implied or expressed. Additionally, under no circumstances shall Foresters Financial be liable to you or any party for any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages arising out of any use by you of this site. As with all financial matters, you should exercise great care in using the information on this site. All information is subject to modification and update from time to time without notice. Certain jurisdictions may not permit certain disclaimers of warranties. In such case, we disclaim warranties to the fullest extent permitted by the applicable law.
Foresters Financial makes no representation that the products discussed on this site are available in all states in the United States or in all geographical areas, nor do we represent that the products are appropriate for all individuals, and the terms and conditions of some products may vary by jurisdiction. You may not be eligible for all of the products described herein. We do not intend to advertise products or services to residents of jurisdictions in which those products or services are not available. Please consult with a financial adviser or insurance agent to ascertain product availability and potential suitability. Nothing on this site should be construed as tax, legal, estate planning, investment or accounting advice. The content could become inaccurate as a result of developments occurring after publication. We endeavor to maintain this site and its operation.
Everyone’s situation and needs are different. This site gives you general information about Foresters Financial’s products. However, it does not intend to give you individualized financial or other professional advice. You should consult your financial adviser if you require any financial or other professional advice. All material on this site is furnished solely for informational purposes and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product referenced in this site.
The information on the site is also not intended to be an offer by us to enter into a contract with you. If you would like more information about our products, or how to purchase them, click here. All products and services are subject to the terms and conditions of all applicable agreements.
Unless we are notified otherwise and provided such documentation as we require, joint brokerage accounts shall be held jointly with rights of survivorship (payable to either or the survivor). Each joint tenant irrevocably appoints the other as attorney-in-fact to take all action on his or her behalf and to represent him or her in all respects in connection with this Agreement. We shall be fully protected in acting, but shall not be required to act upon the instructions of either joint tenant. Each joint tenant shall be liable, jointly and individually, for any amounts due to us pursuant to this Agreement, whether incurred by either or both joint tenants.
413289 US (12/20)
Information we collect
We generally obtain your personal information when you submit an application or other forms, and from your transactions and interactions with us. This information may include:
- Personal data, such as your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, social security number or citizenship.
- Financial data, such as your income and banking information.
- Health related data, such as health and medical information or information about your lifestyle and habits.
- Data about your interactions with us, such as when you visit our websites, applications, social media sites or when you call our service centers.
We collect personal information about you, including information that directly or indirectly identifies you, from the following sources:
- Directly from you such as information we receive from you on applications for products or services or other forms you complete, via telephone calls with you, or information you provide to us online. This information may include your name, mailing or email address, social security number, financial data, health history, and voiceprint biometric data should you choose that option when calling Foresters.
- Indirectly from you, such as from your use of our products and services, information about your transactions with us, our affiliates or others, or information we collect or observe when you use or interact with our websites or social media sites. For example, we may collect information such as online identifiers including location data, your Internet Protocol (IP) Address, or information about your web browser and pages accessed.
- From third parties and other sources, such as from your insurance agent or broker, or from consumer reporting agencies and other third parties to process or administer products or services requested by you; or information we receive from health care providers, clinics, or other insurance companies. We may also collect information from the Medical Information Bureau or other persons that have records about you or your health. Outside sources, from whom we obtain information, may retain information and disclose it to other persons as required or permitted by law.
Foresters understands that you care about how we collect, use and share information when you interact with us online through our websites, social media platforms, online services and applications (collectively “Sites”).
Some of our Sites may use online data collection tools and/or cookies to improve functionality, enhance security, evaluate the effectiveness of our Sites and advertising campaigns, or provide visitors with a customized online experience.
Why do we collect your information?
The primary purpose we collect your personal information is so that we may offer and deliver the products and services that you request and that are suited to your needs.
Collecting your personal information helps us to:
- determine your eligibility for our products and services
- promote and offer you a full range of products and services that may meet your needs or interests
- communicate with you about your and our products and services
- respond to your inquiries or complaints
- identify and mitigate potential losses to you and/or Foresters, for example to verify your identity, to detect, prevent, or investigate fraud or security breaches
- hold fraternal and community events and activities and operate our branch system
- conduct industry or market research
- support and optimize user experience on our Sites and improve our products and services
- fulfill our legal and regulatory obligations
How do we use and share your information?
We use and share personal information only for disclosed purposes related to the products and services we offer, with your consent or as required or permitted by law. We may also use your information in a way that does not directly identify you. For example, we may combine information about the nature or frequency of visits to our Sites and use or share aggregated information for statistical research or analysis, to optimize user experience and diagnose technical problems on our Sites, or other business purposes. We may share your information with our affiliates and licensed agents and agencies to provide you with a full range of our products and services. We may share your information with non-affiliated third-parties who help us conduct our business or who perform services on our behalf. They are contractually obligated to use, protect and secure your information in accordance with our policies and standards or as permitted or required by law. They only have access to the information necessary to perform these services on our behalf and are prohibited from using the information for any purposes except performing the contract.
Foresters does not sell your Personal Information.
How do we protect your information?
We strive to protect your personal information from the risk of loss, unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or misuse. We comply with applicable laws and regulations and have implemented reasonable physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information that are appropriate for its sensitivity. For example, we encrypt your personal information and we use advanced firewall technology and layered security tools to protect our environment. We restrict access to your personal information to those employees who need to know the information to provide or administer our products or services. We regularly train employees to keep your information safe.
Your rights and choices
You have the right to make certain requests and choices regarding your personal information. For example, you may:
- Review or access the personal information we have about you or request a copy of it. Download our Access Request Form here.
- Ask us to update or correct personal information if it is inaccurate
- In certain circumstances, request a list of disclosures we have made of your personal information
- Request that we delete your personal information, subject to any restrictions in applicable laws
- Opt-out of sharing your personal information with third parties for some purposes
- Object to certain types of uses of your personal information
- Make choices about receiving marketing information and emails
These rights vary depending on where you reside, but we will make reasonable efforts to honor your request, even if we are not required by law to do so. We may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting your request.
In some cases, if you ask us to delete or stop using your personal information, we may not be able to honor that request if the information is required to maintain your products or services with Foresters or for us to comply with tax, audit, legal or regulatory obligations. Please contact us to exercise one or more of these rights.
If you are a resident of California click hereto learn additional information that may be relevant to you or additional rights you may have.
How long do we keep information?
We aim to keep your personal information only as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes described in this policy and to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations. When information is no longer needed, we will destroy, delete or de-identify in a manner that is appropriate for the sensitivity of the information, the media in which it is stored or retained, and as required by law.
If you have a concern regarding our handling of your personal information you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-828-1540. We will explain our complaint procedure to you and investigate all complaints. If a complaint is justified, we will take all appropriate steps to set the situation right, including changing our policies and practices if necessary. We will also let you know what other complaint procedures may be available to you.
Changes to this policy
We may change this policy at any time at our discretion and as required by applicable laws. If we make material changes, we will post those changes on our Sites.
If you have questions or wish to contact us about this policy please contact us:
Attn: Assistant Chief Privacy Officer
PO Box 179
Buffalo, NY 14201
Effective Date: May 1, 2021
Foresters Online Privacy Statement
This Online Privacy Statement applies to visitors to Foresters websites and mobile applications (Sites) and supplements our privacy policies. It outlines the types of personal information we collect through our Sites, how we use it, with whom we share it, and some of the choices you can make about our use of the information.
Information we collect online
Using various technologies, Foresters or our service providers may collect various information from or about visitors to our Sites. Information we collect online may include:
- Anonymous data about visitors to our Sites, such as browsing history or geolocation data.
We use Google Analytics, Web Trends and similar analytics service providers (“analytics services”) to collect various types of data about use of our Sites. We use this data to monitor and improve our Sites, measure the effectiveness of our marketing and engagement campaigns and to offer you content, products or services that may be of interest to you.
To learn more about your choices relating to the collection and use of data for analytics or targeted advertising, visit https://youradchoices.com/control.
Some of our Sites may include social media buttons or icons (“plug-ins”) that enable users to easily share information on a social platform. These plug-ins may log certain information such as your IP address, browser type and language, and the web pages you have viewed. If you are logged into a social platform while using our Sites, they may also link information collected with your profile on that social platform. Foresters does not control these third-party tracking technologies. We encourage you to review the privacy policies on social platforms where you have an account to better understand how they collect and treat such information. Foresters is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of the social platforms we use.
This privacy notice applies to The Independent Order of Foresters (ForestersTM).
The law requires us to tell you how we collect, share and protect your personal information. Please read this Notice to understand our privacy practices. To learn more visit our website at foresters.com/privacy. You may also print a copy of this Notice from our website.
Information we collect
We collect the personal information of our customers from the following sources:
Directly from you, such as:
From third parties and other sources, such as:
- From your insurance agent or broker to service your insurance product
- From consumer reporting agencies to process or administer the products or services you requested
- Information we receive from health care providers, clinics, the Medical Information Bureau and others who have records about your health
- Other outside sources from whom we obtain information. This may include insurance-support organizations, who may keep and disclose it to others as allowed by law
Why we collect your information
We collect your personal information to offer and deliver the products and services that you request and that are suited to your needs. Collecting your information helps us:
- Assess your eligibility for our products and services
- Market and administer our products and services
- Pay or assess claims or process payments
- Respond to your inquiries or complaints
- Identify, detect or prevent fraud or security breaches. This may include verifying your identity
- Enhance your experience on our Sites
- Conduct analytics
- Fulfill our legal and regulatory obligations
How we share your information
The law allows us to share certain information we collect. It also gives consumers the right to limit some, but not all, sharing. We do not share information about our customers or former customers with anyone, except as allowed by law or with your consent.
We may share your information as follows:
- With employees, agents, agencies and affiliates to provide or service your products or services
- With non-affiliates who help us with our everyday business or who perform services on our behalf
- With companies that perform marketing services on our behalf or for joint marketing with other financial institutions
- In response to court orders, or to comply with requests made by law enforcement and regulatory authorities, and to comply with and as permitted by law
We do not share information with non-affiliates other than as described above. When we share, we require all non-affiliates to keep your information confidential. We do not sell your personal information.
Confidentiality and security
We have administrative, physical and technical safeguards to protect your information. We train our employees on how to properly handle your information.
Other important information
Generally, you have the right to review personal information we have about you. To obtain your personal information, write to us at our email or mailing address below. We may charge a reasonable fee to cover the costs incurred to provide you with copies of the requested information. If you wish, you may also review this information in person at our Head Office. To correct, amend or delete the information we have about you, write to us at the email or mailing address below. If we agree to your request, we will correct, amend, or delete your information, as applicable, and notify affected parties as required by law. If we do not agree to your request, you may send a short written statement explaining why you disagree. This statement will be filed with your disputed information. You may also request a list of disclosures we have made of your medical records and other personal information, with certain exceptions.
For Massachusetts residents. You may write to us to ask for the reasons for an adverse underwriting decision. An adverse underwriting decision is where we decline your application for insurance, offer to insure you at a higher than standard rate or terminate your coverage.
For Vermont residents. We will not share information about your creditworthiness with our affiliates, other than as allowed by law, unless you authorize us to do so.
If you have a question about this privacy notice, please contact Foresters Assistant Chief Privacy Officer at any of these methods:
Attn: Assistant Chief Privacy Officer
P.O. Box 179
Buffalo, NY – 14201
Email address: email@example.com
Toll free: 800-828-1540 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET weekdays
Effective: May 1, 2021
Online Privacy Notice for California Residents
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Last Updated: December 2019.
Information we collect
We use several technologies to collect information for business purposes about visitors to Foresters Sites. This may include information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly with an individual or with a device (“personal information”).
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information that is specifically excluded from the scope of the California Consumer Protection Act including:
- Personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Gramm-Leach Bliley Act, or the California Financial Information Privacy Act.
- Health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
Over the last 12 months, we may have collected and/or disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
- Online identifiers, such as a name, alias, address, date of birth, Internet Protocol (IP) address or other unique identifiers.
- Internet or other similar network activity, such as browsing history, search history, information about a consumer’s interaction with our Sites, or advertisement.
- Geolocation data, such as information about the location of consumers or their device(s).
- Professional or employment related information, such as when applying for a job opportunity, including current or past job history.
- Non-public education information, such as education records provided when applying for a Foresters Scholarship, including grades, transcripts.
Your rights and choices
The California Consumer Protection Act (“CCPA”) provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you
- If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request us to delete any of your personal information that we hold, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may not be able to honor your request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s), such as to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a product or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Identify errors, repair or maintain systems, including errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
- Enable internal and lawful uses of that information that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us and compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise any of the rights described above, you can submit a consumer request in one of the following ways:
- Submit a Personal Information Access Request Form.
Download and fill out the Form. Return the completed form to us in one of 3 ways:
via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
via fax at 877-329-4631
via regular mail:
Attn: AVP North America Compliance and Privacy Officer
PO Box 179
Buffalo, NY 14201
- Call us toll free at 800-828-1540 from 8am to 8pm ET weekdays.
- Visit www.foresters.com
To respond to a consumer request, we will need to verify your, or your authorized representative’s, identity or authority to make the request. Only you, or your authorized representative, may make a consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a consumer request on behalf of your minor child. We will not be able to respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
You may make a consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The consumer request must:
Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative; and
Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
Making a consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
We will only use personal information provided in a consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a consumer request within thirty days (30) days of receiving it. If we need more time, we will inform you, in writing, of the reason and extension period.
We will deliver our written response by regular mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding receipt of the consumer request. If applicable, our response will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We generally do not charge a fee to process or respond to your request unless it is excessive or repetitive. If we determine that a fee is necessary, we will tell you why and provide you with a cost estimate before we complete your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under this Notice unless permitted by law.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this Notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes, we will post the updated Notice on our Sites and update the effective date. Your continued use of our Sites after any changes to this Notice constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
419742 US (05/21)
The following is applicable to The Independent Order of Foresters.
Foresters is committed to supporting people with disabilities. Our commitment in fulfilling our mission is to strive at all times to provide our products and services in ways that respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access our products and services and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other customers. As we move toward this goal, we expect that our services, benefits and facilities will be more and more responsive to the needs of people with disabilities.
Foresters Multi-Year Accessibility Plan
Foresters fully supports the standards of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and has developed plans to implement them in our organization. Our Multi-Year Accessibility Plan outlines what we will do to remove and prevent accessibility barriers in our organization for customers and-or employees.
Providing information in an accessible or alternate format is a way to help remove potential barriers to accessing and understanding information. Foresters is committed to striving to provide accessible information and communication to its customers and recognizes that persons with disabilities may use methods other than standard print to access information. For more information on available accessible formats or to request an available accessible format document, please contact us.
Website accessibility refers to the practice of designing websites so that people with disabilities and those with different or diverse abilities can understand content, navigate and interact online and have equal access to information and functionality. We are actively working to improve our website to provide a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience. We are striving to ensure our website is consistent with the World Wide Web Consortium Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and is usable with assistive technology.
We are committed to communicating with customers with disabilities in ways that take into account their disabilities. This means that employees communicate in a manner that enables customers to communicate effectively, and to use and receive information about our products and services.
We are committed to helping our customers with disabilities who use assistive devices, and ensuring our staff is familiar with various assistive devices that may be used while accessing our products or services.
Service animals and support persons
Customers with disabilities may be accompanied and assisted by a support person, and may bring their service animal on the parts of our premises that are open to the public, subject to any other applicable laws. We strive to ensure that people involved in dealing with customers are appropriately trained in how to interact with customers in these cases.
Sometimes, we may determine that a service animal cannot enter a certain area, or a customer may need a support person to provide the necessary assistance but not have one available. In these circumstances, we will use our best efforts to suggest reasonable and appropriate alternatives to provide assistance.
Notice of temporary disruptions
We will notify our customers promptly in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for people with disabilities. Our notification will include information about accessible alternatives for accessing our products, services or facilities, as well as the expected length of the disruption. We will provide notification in an accessible format which may include, but is not limited to, outgoing telephone messages or by posting on this website.
Our training for employees, volunteers, others who interact with the public on our behalf, and people who develop our customer service policies will comply with applicable accessibility laws, and may include:
- How to interact and communicate with customers with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with customers with disabilities who use an assistive device or rely on the assistance of a service animal or support person
- How to use available equipment or devices that may assist with the provision of products or services to customers with disabilities
- What to do if a customer with a disability is having difficulty in accessing our products and services
- Our policies, practices and procedures relating to the provision of products or services to customers with disabilities
- A review of the purpose and requirements of any applicable laws or regulations, including the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005
We are committed to continually learning about our customers, their priorities and needs and to improving access to our products and services. We welcome comments and feedback as we strive to meet our customers’ needs and expectations. Customers who wish to provide feedback on how we meet their accessibility needs can contact us using their TTY service, by telephone or in writing by regular or electronic mail. Please click here for our contact information. We will use our best efforts to address or respond to a customer’s feedback immediately. However, it may sometimes be necessary to refer feedback to another Foresters representative for response or to be handled through our regular complaint handling procedures.
413289 US (01/16)